April 28, 2005

And suddenly he’s not the worst

Spitzer sues Internet firm over ’spyware’

Comments

This is the kind of stuff he should have been doing all along, not engaging in extortion of legitimate businesses and hurting consumers.

Posted by: Sean at April 28, 2005 at 2:05 pm

This is exactly the same thing he’s been doing all along, going for high profile cases that will get him favorable press. Yall got PUNK’D!

Posted by: ken at April 28, 2005 at 3:05 pm

Don’t hate the player, hate the game, Wheaton.
Spitzer ‘06

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at April 28, 2005 at 5:58 pm

Most politicians, whether you agree with their basic principles or not, are good people. Even some Democrats. We should all stand with anyone who makes a strong and convincing argument, regardless of party. When James Oddo put a bill into the Council to get EAD devices installed into every public school, it wasn’t about being a Republican or Democrat, but about the safety of the children. Going after spyware companies is not a partisan issue.
When I look at my City Councilor, Margarita Lopez, and the positions she takes on the political front, I can only shake my head and wonder why so many New Yorkers believe what the Democratic Party stands for. Then I go to her website and see all the good things she’s pushed for in my community and come to the realization that everyone wants to same goals, but we have different ways of getting there.
And that’s politics. As a Council candidate, I’ll try to not make my attacks personal. I want to stick with issues and why I think the republican way is the better way. :)
Daniel

Posted by: Daniel Peterson at April 28, 2005 at 7:40 pm

And just like that Alarming News has become a 528 affiliated with the Daniel Peterson campaign.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at April 28, 2005 at 10:34 pm

Daniel,
I’d make one minor point here. Technically speaking, Spitzer’s position is not supposed to be a political one. Granted, it’s horribly naive of me to assume otherwise, but it does set a not-so-hot precedent.
Chief Executive magazine had this to say in an editorial:
IN THE U.S. SYSTEM of checks and balances, it is entirely appropriate that a state attorney general be on the lookout for crimes or abusive practices threatening that state

Posted by: ken at April 28, 2005 at 11:21 pm

Some of the big stuff is high profile. Malicious software, insurance fraud, inflated stocks… these affect millions everyday. I think Spitzer uses the media as a very large hammer. Does the public outing of investigations (complete with names and details) amount to abuse of power? Possibly. Do the practices he rails against amount to abuse of power? Absolutely.
I think you will also find that he negotiates for changes before he goes public. He doesn’t wait long if he feels cooperation is dragging. Proactivity in times when it can take years to unsuccessfully prosecute an individual is refreshing. If he goes over the line too often, he will lose his job. Proper thing.
People in the industries and organizations are hurt by his actions. Business can suffer, shareholders lose value. Tough. I am all for pain if gain is the result. In this I might be biased – in Canada, we are bureaucratically heavy with minimal results. We can waffle and dither for years, and then in the end, let it happen anyway. Our insurance companies could use a swift kick. I might also be for him because I don’t have to live with him. Good luck!

Posted by: Loop at April 29, 2005 at 5:57 am

To me it looks like the abuses of power are all coming from Spitzer. I don’t know of a single positive thing he’s done for the New York private sector – just extort millions of dollars from various companies. This spyware thing might be the first.

Posted by: Yaron at April 29, 2005 at 12:06 pm