April 27, 2005

Easy answers

I am often asked ‘why the hostility toward the north part of Brooklyn? Why do you call it ‘fake’ Brooklyn? What do you have against hipsters?’ Now, I can simply provide a link.

Comments

Classic
“Sibley – who admits she’s in a “precarious” position, since she owns a condo in one of the first luxury buildings to go up in Williamsburg - says the party was a relative success”

Posted by: ken at April 27, 2005 at 5:43 pm

beautiful!

Posted by: Scott S at April 27, 2005 at 5:45 pm

wow.

Posted by: Petitedov at April 27, 2005 at 7:11 pm

I think it’s amazing that you can fit so much ridiculousness into one news story.
Dude, there’s a movie in this. Someone get Coyne-Maloney on the case!

Posted by: Sean at April 27, 2005 at 9:03 pm

My friend owns that bar.

Posted by: someone at April 27, 2005 at 9:34 pm

How dare they de-flower the name “Warriors” and ruin a cinematic masterpiece! I gotta move out of that area. Those people are horribly annoying. It’s the same kids (errr 30 somethings now) that like 10 years ago were obsessed with Nine Inch Nails, and Nirvana. Now, they are all vegan and practice yoga.

Posted by: Vanessa at April 28, 2005 at 8:55 am

Please, please, let’s don’t lump Greenpoint in with Williamsburg to write off “North Brooklyn.”
My hood is hugely Polish-Catholic-Conservative. Down with Dubya and the last Pope. Also, the beer is cheaper than in the bars a few blocks south in Billburg, many still sporting “Just Say No to the Bush Agenda” posters.
Friggin’ hipsters. I remember when wearing glasses meant you WEREN’T cool.

Posted by: Jay at April 28, 2005 at 9:42 am

Oooh I didn’t know Greenpoint was a red state? I knew about Bay Ridge…but not GP. Interesting.
My lame Cobble Hill hood is NOT. Beautiful, posh, trendy, expensive, full of a buncha liberal transplants from Boston

Posted by: Vanessa at April 28, 2005 at 11:28 am

Jay, I lived in Greenpoint in 2000. I believe Nader won second place after Gore. Bay Ridge is the only semi-conservative part of BK.

Posted by: Karol at April 28, 2005 at 11:49 am

Funny, I saw quite a few BC04 pins and t-shirts in the hood last time around. I won’t doubt that the Point’s a ‘blue state,’ especially since Williamsburg is starting to swallow it, but it has to be a LOT less blue than the NYC average.

Posted by: Jay at April 28, 2005 at 12:15 pm

I’m clearly obsessive-compulsive because I just spent the last 20 minutes researching this but:
Greenpoint is Assembly District 50. Total votes 29898. Bush got 8330 and 363 on the conservative line. Kerry got 21992 and that’s not counting the 1195 votes on the Working Families line. Nader only got about 400 votes on two different lines. I’m not crazy enough to go looking for the 2000 numbers. Basically, Bush got approx 8600 votes to Kerry’s approx 23000. That’s about a third of the votes for Bush.
In the 5 boroughs, Bush got about 589071 on the R and C lines. Kerry got about 1828115. That’s also about a third.

Posted by: Karol at April 28, 2005 at 12:36 pm

All info from here: http://vote.nyc.ny.us/pdf/results/2004/general/G2004Recaps.pdf
Oh, and I don’t have a calculater and I suck at math so feel free to double check my numbers but basically, Bush did the same in Greenpoint as the rest of the five boroughs: lousy.

Posted by: Karol at April 28, 2005 at 12:37 pm

But, Karol in Bay Ridge how did he do?
Cause you always hear that as the “Red State” in NYC

Posted by: Vanessa at April 28, 2005 at 2:25 pm

Kerry still won, but by a slightly smaller margin. K/E got about 20,000 votes to B/C 14,000.

Posted by: Karol at April 28, 2005 at 2:57 pm

was the most narrow margin in NYC?

Posted by: Vanessa at April 28, 2005 at 4:46 pm

Huh.
Well, maybe the Greenpoint libs aren’t as in-yo-face and/or the Bushies are–I definitely got the (mis)conception that we were doing OK here relative to NYC at large.
This is why I’m registered to vote in NJ.

Posted by: Jay at April 28, 2005 at 6:07 pm