February 28, 2005

Question for people in Brooklyn

I’m working on a project involving my hometown of Brooklyn with which I need some help. Basically, I’m looking for interesting things to see and do in South Brooklyn. By ‘interesting’ I mean things that you may take for granted would be fascinating to people not from the best Borough. Think L&B Spumoni Gardens, Nellie Bly, the crazy houses in Mill Basin or Manhattan Beach, the bathhouse in Seagate. By ‘South’ I mean everything south of Park Slope, like Flatbush, Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, Brighton, Coney Island, etc. Here is a handy map:

South Brooklyn Map.gif

I particularly don’t know anything about Bergen Beach, Canarsie, Flatlands and those areas are in danger of being cut from my project if I can’t find anything interesting in them.

Comments

The Sophie’s Choice house off Albemarle? The Brooklyn Aquarium? My oldhouse, a.k.a murder scene… uhm… what else is there? Oooh! Emanulle Lewis went to Midwood, maybe people care about that? lol.

Posted by: Ari at February 28, 2005 at 1:08 pm

If you’re a history nerd, some of New York’s (and America’s) oldest surviving buildings and Graveyards are in South Brooklyn.

Posted by: Sean at February 28, 2005 at 1:38 pm

hmm… marine park? it’s pretty big for a neighborhood park. there’s an awesome divey hot bagels place on kings highway & 16th that never gets press but i think it’s the best in bklyn. there are a few historic homes on the national register- the Lott house on East 36th & Ave. S and the Wyckoff-Bennett house on E.22nd & Ave P. wow, can my neighborhood be this boring?

Posted by: anna at February 28, 2005 at 1:55 pm

Anna, I agree, that bagel place is the best in BK. No competition.

Posted by: Karol at February 28, 2005 at 2:00 pm

To my dismay, I lived two blocks from Green Wood cemetery for three years without going in. It is supposed to be pretty damn cool and I’m going when the weather warms up. Also, in the next week or two I am heading to DiFara in Midwood.
It isn’t exactly South Brooklyn, but the Gowanus Canal tours seem neat.
More as I think of it.

Posted by: ugarte at February 28, 2005 at 2:08 pm

^^;; well.. i was closest to brooklyn college.. and i haven’t lived in brooklyn for over 15 years. T-T sorry

Posted by: nikki at February 28, 2005 at 2:11 pm

Please note: “East Flatbush” is now known as “East Coco Beach,” adjust your map accordingly.

Posted by: Dawn Summers at February 28, 2005 at 2:32 pm

Bet you loved when Chris Rock yelled out BROOKLYN at the end of the Oscars.

Posted by: Steve at February 28, 2005 at 3:29 pm

I sure did.

Posted by: Dawn Summers at February 28, 2005 at 3:46 pm

I SO did too!!

Posted by: Ari at February 28, 2005 at 4:15 pm

walking to Jean-Michel Basquiat’s grave in Green-wood Cemetery; the Federation of Black Cowboys’ ranch out by JFK airport; Astroland Park in winter, Astroland Park in summer!

Posted by: josh at February 28, 2005 at 5:20 pm

Well, Coney Island is an adventure all by itself… Astroland, Dino’s Wonderwheel Park, even the darn boardwalk. Or how about the two (there are two, right?) remaining “freak shows” in Coney Island? Last week I saw a one-hour documentary on the history of the freak show and how it is a forgotten American “tradition”, if you will… we have two of the few remaining shows of this kind in the nation!

Posted by: matt at February 28, 2005 at 6:30 pm

Roll & Roaster has a cult following (Manhattan Beach area).

Posted by: Sara at February 28, 2005 at 7:55 pm

Karol, take a look at the Brooklyn section in Forgotten NY Street Scenes
Might be something in there to help you.

Posted by: Kevin Walsh at February 28, 2005 at 7:57 pm

Kevin, I’m a friend of Dawn Eden’s who recommended your site and a bunch of people that I’ve asked for Brooklyn advice referred me to your site. It’s very cool!

Posted by: Karol at February 28, 2005 at 8:25 pm

hrm… see a crazy russian dinner theater show at the millenium?
dinner at vinnies II on a saturday or friday night with live music.
pizza at difaras.
i think theres plays at brooklyn college?
go to one of those chinese auctions the hasidic jews are always having… I kinda wanna do that one myself.
-A

Posted by: allison at March 1, 2005 at 12:56 pm

Canarsie Pier, is a good place in Canarsie to visit. Madd Fun is in Canarsie too. In Flatbush there is Prospect Park, the zoo and the Botancial Gardens. Floydd Bennet Field in Flatbush.

Posted by: Danny Grainger at January 10, 2008 at 4:41 pm