February 26, 2005

Save us.

First the socialists of New York slowed the building of an Ikea in the desperate area of Red Hook, but I didn’t care because I would rather take a trip to NJ and pay lower sales tax than go to the middle of nowhere in Brooklyn (with the possible exception of Canarsie, there is nowhere more ‘middle of nowhere’ in Brooklyn than Red Hook, one of the few areas of that city with no subway). Then, the anti-business zealots stopped the building of a Wal-mart in Queens and a BJ’s Wholesale Club in the Bronx, but I did nothing because, really, who was trekking to Queens or Bronx anyway? But now, the insane progress-stoppers are going too far.

Apparently, the best fast food chain in the world, Cracker Barrel, is considering a move to Brooklyn. This is genius as the nearest Cracker Barrel to Brooklyn is 40 miles away in Mt. Arlington, New Jersey. Also, a recent conversation with Flatbush (the proposed area for the Cracker Barrel) dweller Dawn Summers alerted me to the fact that diner-type establishments like Cracker Barrel are scarce in the ‘hood. Councilman, professional race-baiter and Ex-Black Panther Charles ‘I would like to go up to the nearest white person and slap them for my own personal health’ Barron says that Cracker Barrel has a history of discriminating against ‘blacks, women and gays and lesbians’. I don’t know that this is true, a quick google search shows that there are several court cases that were brought against the company, but I wonder how many companies have never had discrimination cases brought against them and if this is an honest reason to stop businesses from opening. Just to show you the level of crazy that we routinely put up with from our elected officials in New York, the Brooklyn Borough President, Marty Markowitz, who was courting Cracker Barrel, said “I didn’t know about their past; I’ve never been in a Cracker Barrel. I’ve already called and invited them. I can’t now pick up the phone and say, ‘Go, get out of here.’” Erm, Marty, I think they may learn of your feelings without that call, seeing as how you said it to the Daily News and all. Oy.

Comments

Hey! I don’t want any competition for the Dawn/Peter diner coming soon to the ECB — so no to Cracker Barrel.

Posted by: Dawn Summers at February 26, 2005 at 3:43 pm

Putting a Cracker Barrel in Brooklyn would be like putting the Grand Ole Oprey in Times Square. That’s far more Americana than the average New Yawker can handle.

Posted by: Bruce at February 26, 2005 at 4:20 pm

The only way I can make sense of the anti-business behavior of moonbats is with the theory that they oppose businesses for generating wealth and job opportunities, which undermines their support, since the only people likely to buy into their ideology (besides journalists, bureaucrats and college professors) are the sort of unemployed peasants they would like to reduce us to.

Posted by: Van Helsing at February 26, 2005 at 4:21 pm

Earth to Charles Barron:
It’s a restaurant.

Posted by: Dorian at February 26, 2005 at 5:58 pm

Cracker Barrel has (or had, anyway) a “no gay employee” policy. That said, Karol, you are right: Cracker Barrel is the best chain restaurant in the country.
When I was in Montgomery and looking for a place to have brunch and one of our party complained about CB’s anti-gay policy the rest of us shrugged and collectively said “Well, I’m not cooking this morning…”

Posted by: ugarte at February 26, 2005 at 11:19 pm

I’ve never been to a Cracker Barrel restaurant… never heard of it. But my family always got the Cracker Barrel assortment for Christmas. Is the restaurant similar? The waiters bring you a block of wrapped cheddar, a summer sausage, and one of those strawberry liqueur candies, and say, “Go to town”?

Posted by: Jay at February 27, 2005 at 3:43 am

re: Bruce’s comment
Putting a Cracker Barrel too “Americana”, like Grand Ole Opry in Times Square? Last time I checked Times Square was bumper to bumper with Olive Garden,TGIFrycraps, Disneyguts galore et al, it ain’t exactly independant bistros only in the Big Ap – oops “World’s Second Home” (my god what’s THAT all about?)One Cracker Barrel in Brooklyn is not enough.I’d have gone for some Cracker Barrel in Greenpoint, beats borscht any day.

Posted by: Steff at February 27, 2005 at 10:53 am

wow, not letting a cracker barrel in. You know the name comes from black folks shooting white folks in a barrel.
So i thought the panthers would have been all over that. Oh well.
cube

Posted by: cubicle at February 27, 2005 at 4:05 pm

Cracker Barrel is the best chain restaurant in the country.
Negatory Good Buddy, their “Uncle Hershel’s Breakfast” is pretty good when you can get redeye gravy, but as they’ve expanded their presence nationally, they’ve diluted the quality of the food.
I used to tell people I stopped eating at Cracker Barrel to protest their anti-gay policy. In truth, it was because the bastards once served me INSTANT mashed potatoes. In a more civilized time, someone would have been hanged for that offense.

Posted by: Hillbilly in Park Slope at March 1, 2005 at 2:02 pm