January 30, 2005

Fun little time waster

Last night I was recovering, with the aforementioned MKID, from a particularly adventurous Friday night, and talk turned to music, specifically which albums we enjoy from start to finish. This is different than ‘favorite’ albums, though there is some overlap. For example, I like every song on ‘The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill’ but it wouldn’t make even a top 50 cut for favorite albums. On the flip side, I would count ‘Lick’ by the Lemonheads as one of my favorite albums, but there is at least one song I can’t stand (the one in Italian). This is my list, in no particular order:

1. ‘Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots’- Flaming Lips
26. ‘Revolver’- Beatles
27. ‘Miseducation of Lauryn Hill’- Lauryn Hill
28. ‘Lifted or…’- Bright Eyes
29. ‘Urban Hymns’- Verve
30. ‘Greatest Hits’- Bill Withers
31. ‘I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got’-Sinead O’Connor

**This was the only exception to our rule of start to finish greatness since the whole cd is terrific until the last song when the band decides to switch singers.

Comments

You better be careful bumping Dre and 50 too loud in NYC. Ja will come get ya.

Posted by: Eric Anderson at January 31, 2005 at 2:21 am

50 is from Jamaica, Queens. And, really, who is afraid of Ja Rule?

Posted by: Karol at January 31, 2005 at 8:48 am

That’s what I like to call a “perfect album.” I tried to come up with a list of my own one time, but it only had about three on it.

Posted by: Drew at January 31, 2005 at 9:25 am

Cudos for the “Out of Time” plug. What a great album, from hits like “Losing My Religion” and “Shiny Happy People” to the often ignored “Near Wild Heaven” and “Texarkana.”

Posted by: Von Bek at January 31, 2005 at 12:31 pm

-The third Velvet Underground album is the best end to end listen
-David Bowie “Ziggy” or maybe “Hunky Dory” are more consistent
-Pink Floyd “Dark Side”, but I concede “Animals” is pretty good, too. Have you heard “Echoes”?
-Flaming Lips “Soft Bulletin”
-R.E.M. “Murmur” or “Reckoning”, but in the same period, “Automatic for the People” is more mature and coherent than “Out of Time”

Posted by: mike d at January 31, 2005 at 1:54 pm

Interesting that you prefer “The Bends” over “Kid A.”
If I had a blog, I would BLOG my favorite 50. And jokes would surely ensue shortly after. George Michael’s Greatest Hits, Hanson, Michael J’s HIS-story, Dido.

Posted by: Vanessa at January 31, 2005 at 2:48 pm

I love The Verve, but there are songs on Urban Hymns that I can’t stand. Chasing the Butterfly and This Time are just too bland.

Posted by: Sobek at January 31, 2005 at 4:11 pm

“Out of Time” by REM???? Cmon. They have so many better albums. Life’s Rich Pageant, Murmur, Fables of the Reconstruction, Document, Reckoning. Those albums are all brilliant.

Posted by: Downtown Lad at January 31, 2005 at 5:29 pm

Downtown, again, it wasn’t about ‘best’ albums, just albums that are good from start to finish. I like all the albums you name but there is at least one song on each that I don’t like.

Posted by: Karol at January 31, 2005 at 6:00 pm