September 29, 2004

Is it Ali G or the Saudi street?

‘So my country can be free’.

Via Allah.

Posted by Karol at 12:54 AM |
Comments

Nice “allies” you have!
I take you have seen the Borat sketches on Ali G then ?

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at September 29, 2004 at 8:08 am

Awww… see?? Peace loving Islam in action again. I feel all warm and fuzzy. At least they smile while they say it. Jeez.

Posted by: Ari at September 29, 2004 at 9:57 am

Would you shake hands with a Muslim Ari ?

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at September 29, 2004 at 12:24 pm

It doesn’t seem that I’d have the opportunity to find out. Y’know, being filthy Jewish swine and all. :-P
But as a general rule, I do try to keep blood off of them so… assume away.

Posted by: Ari at September 29, 2004 at 1:00 pm

I would shake hands with a Muslim, Urbane. What’s your point?

Posted by: Karol at September 29, 2004 at 1:01 pm

Ok, I gotta ask: How many interviews were done and what percentage of the total number of interviews do these obviously inflammatory responses constitute?

Posted by: Shawn at September 29, 2004 at 1:36 pm

Sometimes posting isn’t too good a medium – wasn’t sure whether to take Ari’s post as vitriolic or not. And I guess the reference to Islam as whole instead of the fanatics who came out with the comments made me wonder. It brings it down to their level if you believe all Muslims to be bad (as the fanatics evidently do about Jews). I apologise for the pedantry regarding language.
Not assuming anything Ari – which is why I asked.

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at September 29, 2004 at 1:56 pm

I had the exact same reaction. Like the audience participation in “Throw the Jew Down the Well”, I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.
Shawn’s point is interesting, though:
* How much did Saudi TV cull the harshest responses?
* How much filtering did MEMRI do on top of that?
I mean, if I went around the rural US asking “Would you shake hands with a Muslim?” and how they’d explain what one is to their kids, I bet you could put together some disturbing responses.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 29, 2004 at 3:29 pm

I was being totally sarcastic.
Besides, would their arms reach all the way down the well? Again… sarcasm :)

Posted by: Ari at September 29, 2004 at 3:31 pm

A Culture of Pathological Jew Hatred

Granted, it’s excerpts from a news program (and all television programs are edited to begin with), but wow. Like Karol,…

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 29, 2004 at 6:06 pm

…and I was being a bit slow on the uptake.
When the Borat clip was first shown in the UK, I trawled the net looking for U.S. reaction. Google eventually led to your site Joe. Wonder what was going through Sacha Cohen’s head when the crowd started responding.

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at September 29, 2004 at 8:26 pm