September 28, 2004

Random Observation

Ray and Debra’s relationship on ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ is the nightmare example of married life. Discuss.

Comments

I think Patricia Heaton is a MILF.

Posted by: Joe R. the Unabrewer at September 29, 2004 at 12:07 am

I concur with Joe’s assessment of the situation.

Posted by: Tom Alday at September 29, 2004 at 12:09 am

Posted by: Karol at September 29, 2004 at 12:13 am

Where to begin… ok, she is a shrew, who married an idiot. Now, some ten odd years later she is exponentially bitter at having been married to an idiot that she chose for herself. It is every horrid marriage stereotype out there.
And the in laws need to be killed. Pity they didn’t birth the Menendez’s.

Posted by: ari at September 29, 2004 at 12:24 am

‘Ok, ok, but their relationship is unbearable. She whines, he’s annoying, the family is out of control. Their life seems hellish.’
all trumped by joe and tom’s point.

Posted by: scot at September 29, 2004 at 1:22 am

Nothing new to see. Dysfunctional families are a sitcom standard. Look at “All In The Family” or “Married With Children.” There hasn’t been a normal family since “The Dick Van Dyke Show,” and even then Mary Tyler Moore was whiny.
And a MILF.

Posted by: Joe R. the Unabrewer at September 29, 2004 at 2:25 am

I agree. Misery is much funnier than happiness, as illustrated by Al Bundy (mentioned above post), dating back to The Honeymooners. The most depressing episode of ELR had to be the one where Ray and his wife (forgot name) discover they have absolutely nothing to say to each other about anything when given alone time. Other than that, their dysfunction gives me a good chuckle (I think they are made less depressing as well by the fact that the in laws hate each other even more. haha – really that mean moth in law deserves an Emmy)

Posted by: Steff at September 29, 2004 at 5:23 am

Ok people. Didn’t we all see the episode of South Park where Tweek gets introduced. Mr. Garrison assigns a group paper and Cartman wants to do it on Raymond, since everybody loves Raymond. And Kyle or Stan yells at him that they can not do anymore papers on Raymond.
Wise advice.

Posted by: Von Bek at September 29, 2004 at 9:06 am

They seem normal to me. The Barones remind me of my relatives.

Posted by: Dan at September 29, 2004 at 11:35 am

Patricia Heaton is also a hardcore Republican living in a jungle full of Libs.

Posted by: chris at September 29, 2004 at 4:56 pm

I completely agree Karol.
I simply cannot watch the show because I find it too dark and depressing. What’s more depressing is that every single married couple on Long Island says, “Oh. We love that show. It’s just like us.”
I think it’s the darkest portrayal of family life ever on an American sitcom.

Posted by: Eric Deamer at September 30, 2004 at 4:05 am