July 31, 2004

Dawn’s Birthday Season can now officially come to a close

Last night was the end of the birthday ’season’ of the esteemed Dawn Summers. Some thoughts:

1. Bloggers outnumbered civilians by a lot. Peter, Ari, Jessica, Lisa, Scott, Oschisms, Ivan, and Asphnxma helped celebrate. I also hear Yaron was there but left by the time I got there.

2. Dawn Summers was DRUNK but will never admit it. Dawn has led a very sheltered life. She did not try alcohol until she was 21, not because her mother cared if she did, mind you, but because it was illegal. Since then, she has gone out of her way to prove that she can drink and drink and not get tipsy. Her knowledge of what being drunk is comes mostly, it seems, from after school specials where people get completely out of control, are unable to speak or think at all and are a hazard to themselves and others. She kept saying ‘ask me anything’ to prove that she was sober. Except that it came out ‘asthk meh anythung’ followed by prolonged giggles.

3. My present to Dawn is to take her shopping and buy her a new outfit. After seeing what she was wearing last night (think, mother of 3 on her big night out), it should happen sooner rather than later.

4. Dawn’s friends have gotten progressively better. All through high school she was friends with the dorkiest (and not in a cute way) group of people ever to walk the earth. The one she was closest with had a full beard (at 16) and wore two different color shoes every day. He was cited some years later, during college, for stalking a young lady. The other winner she spent a lot of time with despised himself and used that as an excuse to be nasty to others. He too (coincidence!!) was cited for stalking in college. Twice, actually. The rest of her crew were a collection of D&D playing misfits who didn’t like themselves or each other. Her friends now are funny and confident and even Asphnxma, who was mean to me in Dawn’s comment section yesterday, was nice and friendly.

5. I toasted to Dawn that she should be happy that she is 29 but looks 12. May you always keep your youthful appearance, Dawn, and that wild laugh too (but seriously, the outfits have got to go).

Comments

“Bloggers outnumbered civilians by a lot.”
That sounds so crazy to say! but I love it! : )

Posted by: Jennifer at July 31, 2004 at 4:38 pm

What a coincidence. The commentators on all of the blogs you mentioned got together for a party on the same night. We spent the evening commenting on you Bloggers. It was a good thing you were not there as you Bloggers would have dominated the conversation.
During most of the party we ignored each other as we talked because we thought that other commentator

Posted by: Jake at July 31, 2004 at 11:08 pm

Karol #4 was really funny. The dork with the two different color shoes I might have to add to my next screenplay.
I’d wish you a happy birthday Dawn but first you have to prove you were actually born :-)

Posted by: Radical Redneck at August 1, 2004 at 11:47 am

I was definitely there. I had another birthday party afterwards, unfortunately! But the civilians were fun. And Dawn, I thought you looked very nice.

Posted by: Yaron at August 1, 2004 at 1:42 pm

Thank you Yaron! (Karol, you can’t see me, but I am currently sticking out my tongue and making a face at you.)

Posted by: Dawn Summers at August 1, 2004 at 3:11 pm

P.S. We played Risk and chess, not D&D, what kind of losers did you take us for?

Posted by: Dawn Summers at August 1, 2004 at 3:12 pm

I was not mean! (or not trying to be, at least). ;)

Posted by: asphnxma at August 1, 2004 at 11:14 pm

I so wish I had been there…

Posted by: Esther at August 2, 2004 at 12:50 am

Karol if you time the shopping trip right maybe I can get in on it? You can be the girl from “What not to wear” and I’ll be Elizabeth Hasselbeck from “The look for less.” It’ll be fun. I hear Miss Summers is a cute girl, so I think I’d have fun dressing her up. Like Barbies, but for smart grown-up people.

Posted by: candace at August 2, 2004 at 2:53 am

Karol & Dawn, sorry I could not make it. Had to work at the commie bookstore. I sold 3 copies of the Clinton bio. So, Dawn, consider that your b-day gift.

Posted by: Vanessa at August 2, 2004 at 9:01 am

hahahahahahaha, now if you could only promise me that those three people live in Ohio and are going to vote for Kerry/Edwards.

Posted by: Dawn Summers at August 2, 2004 at 10:15 am

Actually, I will be in OHIO in SEPT!! But visiting a Republican pal.

Posted by: Vanessa at August 2, 2004 at 11:26 am