July 19, 2004

Quote of the day

‘There’s plenty of groups in the world that hate Israel and the Jews for irrational reasons. And there’s one group in the world, America’s fundamentalist Christians, that embraces Israel and the Jews for, you could say, irrational reasons. And yet I’m told that’s the group I should be afraid of?’
-Yaron from Daily Lunch

Posted by Karol at 10:27 AM |
Comments

Hey, thanks! I’ve never been a “quote of the day” before.

Posted by: Yaron at July 19, 2004 at 10:45 am

Agreed. I just hope that the rabid response from certain parts of the Jewish community to the recent Mel Gibson film did not undermine Christian-Jewish relations in this nation for a long time to come.

Posted by: Von Bek at July 19, 2004 at 12:24 pm

Von Bek’s concern is a smart one. Still, I know lots and lots of different Christians, and I have not witnessed in the least an undermining of relations where that is concerned.

Posted by: michael parker at July 19, 2004 at 1:26 pm

Good point VB,
But I don’t think the negative Jewish response to Mel Gibson’s movie undermined relations between Catholics and Jews but highlighted the paranoia that most Jews have about the way they are portrayed in the media. I am Catholic and my friends’ response to that movie didn’t change the way I felt about them but made me realize that they carry this embedded “everyone is against us” attitude sometimes that makes them think irrationally. I’m also of English decent and I enjoyed Braveheart very much. I am looking forward to his next film and due to the enormous popularity of “The Passion” even the Jewish controlled Hollywood can’t stop his next flick (watch the paranoia people…lol)
Harrison Ford as Moses and the Rock as the Pharoe ?
“Where are you going Moses, I want you to smell what the Rock is cookin’!!!!”

Posted by: Mr Rogers at July 19, 2004 at 5:27 pm

Yaron, apparently it’s in the eyes of the beholder. Irrational to you is very rational to me. And it’s not just “America’s fundamentalist Christians,” it’s Christian from all over the world who have a differing view of Jews and Israel.
But the basic premise is correct, I believe. Certain Jews, themselves, may regretably fear a worsening in relationships, but the vast majority of thoughtful Christians should easily filter out the crud.
That’s not to say there aren’t still a few (idiots?) (irrational ones?) (screwed up ones?) (whatever) wearing the label that won’t.

Posted by: 49erDweet at July 19, 2004 at 7:24 pm