June 30, 2004

Insane TV

I like mean reality TV shows. When I was in college, I loved the show ‘Change of Heart’. It featured a couple coming on the show to test their relationship by going on dates with other people. Great idea, right? At the end of the show, each gets to decide whether they want to stay together or whether they’ve had a change of heart. Brutal. People would start crying when their partner had the change of heart while they wanted to stay together. I loved it.

I also really enjoyed ‘Paradise Island’. It had a similar theme. Couples would come on the show and be put on separate island with tons of attractive members of the opposite sex. They would then go on dates with other people and snippets of the date would be shown to their significant other. Of course, the snippets would be the worst, most misleading bits of the date and their partner would often get mad enough to get busy with their own date (and then the video would be shown to the other partner, leading to a vicious, vicious cycle).

But, on my first night in Georgia, I saw the meanest show ever. It’s called Cheaters and it goes like this: a woman suspects her husband/boyfriend is cheating on her. She calls the show and they do a stakeout to confirm or ease her worries. The two segments I saw both had the men actually cheating. The show sets it up so that the women catch the men in the act (in the second case, the man was in bed with the other woman in the apartment he shared with his girlfriend). Insanity ensues. The first one was crushed, hysterically sobbing. The second woman is angry and punching her boyfriend and the broad in her bed. The camera people and staff are all there for the confrontation. It’s so funny. The man in the bed started yelling at the host ‘how you gonna sell out a fellow man like that, how you gonna come to my crib and set me up like this’. The show is a cross between Jerry Springer and Oprah because the host tries to talk to the cheatee and tell her how much better off she’ll be without the guy and he actually provides security for the second girl because he is afraid her boyfriend will return that night. It’s not just women calling the show either. They showed an update on a previous show in which a man catches his girlfriend cheating. It was hilarious/horrifying. I hope the show expands to other markets because you guys have got to see this.

Comments

Cheaters is big down South. My dad is obsessed with it.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at June 30, 2004 at 6:52 pm

It plays at odd hours in San Francisco. It’s one show that I just can’t watch just because it is just so gratuitously vicious. I keep waiting for someone to just shoot the host. I mean, he walks into people’s homes and won’t leave when he’s told to, going so far as to try to physically intervene on occasion. It’s just awful.

Posted by: Jheka at June 30, 2004 at 7:11 pm

ohh that’s so sad. is the host attractive? (not that i want to be asking that of a woman who would like to get it on with mr. smith.)

Posted by: candace at June 30, 2004 at 8:07 pm

I tried watching it last summer when it was on the NYC upn station – i could not stand it…

Posted by: Alceste at June 30, 2004 at 8:28 pm

I think I’ll pass…

Posted by: Rick at June 30, 2004 at 8:42 pm

HAHAHA! I watch that all the time. It is SO entertaining. Anyway, this one I watched had the host confronting the cheater on a boat trip with the “other woman”. They all boarded from the boat they were following in and an argument [obvoiusly]ensued. Anyway, the cheater ended up STABBING the host. There was another where they confronted this guy in a parking garage and the boyfriend of the cheater pulled a gun on the “other man”, priceless. The girlfriend when running screaming something about how she “ain’t gon be wit no man who uses no gun.” (Whatever that means). It is amazing…anyway, you can’t script crap like that. Just a bunch of crazies cheating on their loved ones….great show, really great. :)

Posted by: Courtney at July 1, 2004 at 11:25 am

It’s a cruel show but it can be so funny at times. Check out the one where the guy jumps out the window and runs off down the street naked when the camera crew comes to the door. For a start where is he running to? and doesn’t he think someone will notice him and call the police?

Posted by: supersexy29 at July 1, 2004 at 12:25 pm

It’s cynical, mean-spirited and appeals to the most base instincts.
I love it!

Posted by: Radical Redneck at July 1, 2004 at 1:07 pm

Cheaters was the most appalling show to watch. Courtney’s right about the stabbing. I just saw it in a VH1 special (Top 50 Reality Moments, or something like that). The punchline, if there is one, is that when the host recovered, he went back to work on the show again.
Stab me once, shame on you. Go back to work so I can be stabbed again, shame on me.

Posted by: Esther/Madonna at July 1, 2004 at 3:52 pm

I saw a European Verson of Cheaters when I was in Vienna, it really sucked. I also saw A European Version of the Real World, that really sucked too. Europe really sucks at reality TV.

Posted by: PAUL at July 2, 2004 at 11:16 am