May 27, 2004

Livin’ in the city

Jane Galt has a piece about the pros and cons of raising babies in a city environment. I’ve come to the conclusion lately, that should I ever have children, there is only one place for me to raise them: Brooklyn. It’s not just because that’s where I was raised and that’s where my parents and friends still live. Brooklyn is close enough to Manhattan that the kids have access to everything the city offers but far enough away that you can have a house and a car with a driveway. There’s plenty of public transportation, I was taking busses and trains by the time I was 8 or 9. I’m writing about south Brooklyn here, not the pseudo-Manhattan areas of north Brooklyn like Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights and Greenpoint (and yes, even you Park Slope and Carroll Gardens). The places I mean are Bensonhurst, Bay Ridge, Sheepshead Bay, and the little neighborhoods with no names along Coney Island Avenue and Ocean Parkway.

This is a strange thing for me to believe, that Brooklyn is the ideal place to raise kids. I got out of there as soon as I could and I spent many years talking badly about my hometown. Now, though, after living elsewhere for about ten years, I really can’t imagine settling down anywhere else. How things do change.

Comments

Brooklyn, Brooklyn….Funky, Funky Fresh.

Posted by: Pheeleepok at May 27, 2004 at 12:31 pm

Don’t be dissing our Manhattan-lite neighborhoods. I mean if you want a driveway and a house… why not just move to Queens or Nassau county! Oh, burn!

Posted by: ken at May 27, 2004 at 12:39 pm

I’m picturing a little 4 year old red head carrying her mini pink lap top in one hand and holding mommy’s hand in the other to cross Coney Island Avenue.
One day Karol, One day:)

Posted by: Lisa at May 27, 2004 at 12:43 pm

I could’nt agree more with you. Infact your comment has ispired me to try and get someone pregnant tonight. Do you think babies like Famous Pita?

Posted by: MKID at May 27, 2004 at 1:01 pm

Karol,
I can totally relate, if you only replace ‘Brooklyn’ with ‘America’.
Just a few years ago I felt America was the biggest evil on Earth.
And yay for raising your kids in Brooklyn – I can picture a bunch of awefully cute Karol…Karolettes? Karolines? Karolchiki is the best I can come up with. So yeah, awfully cute kids, with a lot of character, and the most contageous smiles in the whole borough.

Posted by: Ivan Lenin at May 27, 2004 at 1:09 pm

Raising kids in Brooklyn, or New York for that matter, does not appeal to me. Maybe the reason is that I was raised in a town in Montana with a population of 2,500.

Posted by: Jake at May 27, 2004 at 3:08 pm

i grew up on a dirt road, that still is unpaved, give the rual areas any day.
if a nuclear attack occurs you will be begging to move into my bomb shelter (that i was allowed to build because there was not goverment around to tell me different)

Posted by: cube at May 27, 2004 at 4:24 pm

My dad did his best to get out of the Salt Lake City area as soon as he could, and now I dream of raising kids on the street that bears our family name. He rolls his eyes at me, but the rest of my family that’s still there loves the idea. At least he’s happy with me at the whole thinking I actually want kids part.

Posted by: candace at May 27, 2004 at 5:01 pm

I found the suburban areas of Queens to be nice, and close to the city.
The parts of Brooklyn I clearly remember visiting weren’t the place I want to raise kids. The only time I was in Karols parents neighborhood and house I was in a vodka induced drunken haze. But from what i remember through the haze and fuzzy post memory seemed like a nice place to raise kids.

Posted by: PAUL at May 27, 2004 at 11:37 pm