March 28, 2004

EuroPress

Denis Boyles has a fantastic roundup of European press on the Clarke situation, the boy bomber with Downs Syndrome that Israel diffused, the strong results in local elections in France by the Socialists and Le Pen’s National Front, the ongoing trouble in multilaterally liberated Kosovo, the problems with the EU constitution, and a really telling story about a BBC reporter furthering a myth that British soldiers would go door to door killing people when the invasion of Iraq began. Boyles’ weekly column has become a must-read for me and should be for you too.

Comments

It’s still quite an amusing read I agree. He describes how the BBC “lovingly memorialised” Yassin. Yep, so lovingly pointing out that he was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of Israelis, and that analysts believed that the assisnation was there to stop Hamas taking advantage of Israels proposed withdrawl from Gaza. Mmmmm feel the love !
The story about the BBC man furthering a myth is a classic. You are picking up bad habits from Mr Boyle there. You have missed out a few facts there that even Mr Boyle reports. The reporter was with a captain of the Iraqi secret police (a govt appointed minder). The captain felt that the allies might kill “people like him” ie those that helped to perpetrate Sadaams regime. The BBC man helping him is a bizarre one, but I can only imagine that he was shitting himself about a prospective Iraqi backlash against Westerners in Iraq once the bombing began. That part did seem a bit shady.
A great read. All Boyle wants to do is cherry pick stories to reinforce previously held views, rather than genuinely inform. I am sure that there are websites in this country doing exactly the same with the U.S. media.

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at March 28, 2004 at 4:17 pm

Karol, I don’t see the BBC reporter “furthering a myth” that British soldiers would go door to door killing people when the invasion of Iraq began.
You have an Iraqi man afraid he is going to die if he stays in Baghdad. For a reason everyone outside Iraq knows is bogus (including readers of the BBC and the reporter) so the reporter isn’t going to insult readers intelligence by having to point out the bogusness of the Iraqi mans fear of British Soldiers going house to house executing people.
But Iraqi man and everyone else in Baghdad SHOULD be afraid of staying in Baghdad because the war, with the bombs, the missles, rockets, guns, and believed at the time chemical, bio, and nuclear WMD was coming.
So reporter did a comapassionate thing and gave him money to get him and family out. In exchange for protection before the coaliton arrived (as Urbane stated).

Posted by: PAUL at March 28, 2004 at 9:59 pm

Paul, when a JOURNALIST helps a member of the opposing side in a war, it’s a problem. You do understand that as a member of Iraq’s Secret Police, this guy probably has more than a few murders under his belt? The BBC journalist should be fired.

Posted by: Karol at March 29, 2004 at 11:52 am

Ok, but your latest comment is a very different argument than you made before and my previous comment was addressing your original post.
Now on to your latest comment. I can agree with that. But I don’t think the journalist did what you claim (helping the opposing side during a war). He might have been helping the man desert the Iraqi police, thereby weakening the opposing side.

Posted by: PAUL at March 29, 2004 at 9:46 pm

Plus the reporter only promised to “keep him alive” when the coalition arrived (soothing his bogus fears of being executed) I don’t consider that “helping the opposing side” in the grand scheme of things.

Posted by: PAUL at March 29, 2004 at 9:50 pm

Paul, I just assumed you read the article. He gave him a thousand dollars. How can you consider that not helping the other side?

Posted by: Karol at March 30, 2004 at 12:07 am

It sounds like the captain was on no ones side but his own (and that of his family if they did indeed exist).

Posted by: Urbane McMeercat at March 30, 2004 at 7:09 am

I read the article. I just won’t speculate on a personal relationship between two people. Giving the Iraqi minder money to get his family out of Baghdad was done on a personal level. I’m sure reporters and their Iraqi minders spent a lot of time together. I don’t see how it would help the Iraqi war effort or weaken the Allies.

Posted by: PAUL at March 30, 2004 at 9:43 pm