December 26, 2003

Feminism today

Surfing by the NOW website, I saw a link to a site that was going to tell me the ‘Truth about George’ (presumably, Bush). I clicked the link and, of course, was taken to a typical, hysterical, ‘Bush is the devil’ site. It said that Bush was tearing down, reversing, appointing, rewarding, stacking, slashing, gutting, attacking, alienating etc. Then I spotted the ‘women’s rights’ section.
I want to know when feminists reduced women to having sex and making babies? Apparently, we do nothing else and we have no other issues. I’m not exaggerating, go look. There is not one issue that isn’t about sex and babies. It’s pathetic that this is what feminism has become. In my teens I used to call myself a feminist. Now I wouldn’t, mostly because I wouldn’t want to associate with these lunatics who turn women into these one-dimensional characters. My #1 issue is preventing myself from getting blown up on the subway. #2 is not giving away half my salary, as I have for the past few years, in taxes. Whether the Bush administration gives money to foreign clinics that offer abortion isn’t in the top 1000. Neither is sex education in schools. How many women actually have a stake in these two, supremely limited issues? And of these, how many would take NOW’s radical positions? What is NOW’s purpose if not to represent women? What does it say about feminism that the feminists treat women with such disdain?

Posted by Karol at 09:21 AM |
Comments

I think your assessment is unfair.
The subject of the website is “The Truth About George” The Womens issues section is only dealing with issues Bush is having an impact on, not the other feminist/womens stuff.
The NOW website is about Womens issues and they discuss more than just sex and babies.

Posted by: PAUL at December 26, 2003 at 5:54 pm

I still call myself a feminist, even though I usually end up in situations such as this (http://www.livejournal.com/community/feminist/699780.html). It’s rather annoying.

Posted by: Noor E. Sulaiman at December 27, 2003 at 9:29 am

Noor, I would leave a comment there but the anonymous posting feature is disabled and I’m not a Livejournal member. I just don’t get these people. Feminism=abortion and that’s it? What the hell is anti-womyn? Why do I need to change the ‘a’ to a ‘y’ to think women should have the same rights (and not one more) than men? It’s just absurd. Again, I think terrorism and taxation are women’s issues, and clearly the ‘feminists’ don’t.

Posted by: Kashei at December 27, 2003 at 2:14 pm

These Feminists seem to have taken to blaming everything on Pres. Bush and the Republican Party instead of actually doing anything to improve the status of women. It’s rather sad what ‘Feminism’ has come to.

Posted by: Noor E. Sulaiman at December 28, 2003 at 2:35 am

[...] issue.” I wrote about this back in 2003, that official “women’s issues” only have to do with sex and reproduction, when in reality women’s issues should be fighting terrorism and lower taxes, and if the [...]

Posted by: Why don’t women vote Republican? at September 28, 2010 at 1:48 pm