September 29, 2003

Sadder still: the Democrats in the running for president.

10 dwarfs.jpg

My boyfriend does not, in any way, consider himself a Republican. He certainly leans right on foreign policy but he’s got all kinds of crazy ideas about things like throwing more money into a failure of a school system. Here is what he says about the 10 Democrats running for president:

John Kerry- “The man cried when one woman told him she lost her job! One person! If he can’t maintain his composure when one person loses their job, how is he going to react when the jihadis nuke Manhattan?”
Bob Graham- “I thought he was dead!”
Joe Lieberman- “My favorite of the 10. Too bad he has no chance.”
Wesley Clark- “This is the guy who ran the campaign in Bosnia and was fired. Bill Clinton fired this guy! How bad do you need to be for Clinton to fire you?
Dennis Kuchinich- “Who?”
John Edwards- “John Kerry from another state?”
Howard Dean- “Do you see what kind of psychos flock to Dean? Dean surrounds himself with idiots, we don’t need a president like that.
Al Sharpton- “The joke candidate”
Carol Moseley Braun- “She’s wasting her money.”
Dick Gephardt- “I know nothing about the guy.”

Posted by Karol at 12:06 AM |
Comments

That’s a bit rich about Kerry. I think he has plenty of medals from Nam that would seem to demonstrate an ability to stay calm under pressure.

Posted by: Bobby at September 29, 2003 at 8:14 am

Aye, bit greetin like a wee lassie s’no way tae go against a man of Bush Jr’s social standing, y’see. Eff ‘e were tae come oop tae Falkirk, I’d no be suprised eff ‘e fockin’ greeted every tear oot aye es bastad heid. A’hve not werked since Wimpy shit doon. E wants tae pill himsel tigithir, the biscuiterse of a soapy kent, ‘Nam or no . . .

Posted by: McKweli at September 29, 2003 at 11:13 am

McKweli, a lovely smorgesboard of dialects in the last post. Very Molly Weir (Macwitch from Rentaghost).
Kipper tie ?

Posted by: Bobby at September 29, 2003 at 12:57 pm

Aye, ah’ve spint mah time coursing fae Motherwell tae Durham tae Solihull so mah accent may quiver and ah’m no ashamed tae admit et, so’s yee can fock off wi yah Rentaghost shite, pal. Ah minded maself ah wee Jimmy Krankie if were any o’yee fockin’ bidness, anyhoo (anyhoo?).

Posted by: McKweli at September 29, 2003 at 1:06 pm

Sorry, that was even worse than the first one.

Posted by: Kweli at September 29, 2003 at 1:08 pm

Please excuse the behavior of my son, who posts under the name Kweli and likes to pretend he is a girl. I understand some of you consider him to be quite a nuisance. He is a very unfortunate little child who was born with most of his brain missing, one shrivelled up testicle, and his colon connected to his mouth. He is utterly incapable of taking care of himself, and his only joys are eating his own feces and typing simple sentences on the computer our neighbor gave us. He does not understand half of what he types, so please be kind. This is the only attention he gets.

Posted by: Kweli's mom at September 29, 2003 at 4:02 pm

Kerry served in Vietnam?

Posted by: annika! at September 29, 2003 at 5:59 pm

Yes, Annie, he did…
And I don’t know what Kweli and Bobby are talking about…
But I do know that not all the Deanocrats are crazy. There’s a cute one living one floor down from me. And a smart one who I happen to know is also pretty cute who used to blog just regular but now blogs “for America,” as it were. So I have to say in their defense that, while they all seem to be chronic introverts, they’re not all crazy. Some of them are quite lovely. And smart.

Posted by: candace at September 29, 2003 at 7:39 pm

I think Annika was kidding, Candace, as that’s pretty much anyone knows about Kerry. I didn’t say anything bad about Democrats in general (though I find them wishy-washy and find that most of my lefty friends would never consider themselves Democrats), just these ten. And actually, it wasn’t even me making fun of them. :-)

Posted by: Kashei at September 29, 2003 at 9:39 pm

i know annie was kidding…. nobody ever seems to know when i am though… everyone is so defensive! i know it was peter’s opines. also, i was talking about DEANocrats and how they’re not all crazy, while still trying to comment on the weird charisma of the movement and how it manages to draw out all kinds of passion in otherwise introverted people.
i will try to be more self-conscious in my comments in the future, just to avoid confusion.

Posted by: candace at September 30, 2003 at 1:03 am

Mum, since when did you start calling yourself mom? You know the Hermaphrodite thing was supposed to stay within the family. I know you’ve actually been DEAD for over two years but still it’s no excuse to give rich kids cheap laughs.

Posted by: Kweli at September 30, 2003 at 8:02 am

Nae need to get so defensive aboot yer dialect noo. The term” biscuiterse”, though I have absolutely no idea what it means, will be part of my vocabulary from now on. Sorry to hear about your Mum, but I notice your Mom spells everything the American way.

Posted by: Bobby at September 30, 2003 at 8:19 am

“You know the Hermaphrodite thing was supposed to stay within the family”
Kweli’s mum and I are the same!

Posted by: Kweli's dad at September 30, 2003 at 10:01 am

Kweli’s Mom -
Though cruel, it’s been a long time in coming, and, let’s just admit it: very, very clever.
Kudos and no hard feelings.
That said, a comment on the actual post:
There is something, well, morally bankrupt, about the democrat party leadership’s lack of support for their first ever female candidate for president. And I’ll give NOW a tremendous amount of credit for throwing in behind her.
Meanwhile, on the other side of the planet, a car company is quietly building reasonably priced 60 MPG 4 door sedans, for sale in the United States, and no-one seems to be buying them – certainly not the “popular majority” that thinks it elected Mr Gore.
Nexus? I think so.

Posted by: Art Wellesley at September 30, 2003 at 10:18 am

Sorry Candace, misread. I find the Deanocrats to be very similar to the McCainiacs of 2000. Both know very little about the candidate but like his ‘fresh’ approach. Most people just want someone to believe in.

Posted by: Kashei at September 30, 2003 at 11:24 am

K, I think you’re right for the most part… it’s an endearing idealism (hopefully that doesn’t sound too patronizing), but doesn’t necessarily translate. A lot of them don’t agree with him on all levels but find him honest and inspiring — in other words, emotionally appealing. I think it’s less that they “don’t know” much about him (empirically, my friends are quite well-informed… that doesn’t adjust, however, for the high quality of my friends), but that the differences matter less to them than the approach to politics.
And I’ll admit, the grassroots thing is inspiring. But sometimes we forget that “grassroots” doesn’t equal “all the people.” Not that it has to (case in point: the American Revolution), but I don’t know that their case is strong enough. They certainly present W. as a reigning, authoritarian king-like figure, but that doesn’t make it so…
Anyway. :)